ONYX RESEARCH AND ENGINEERING, LLC
- Leading company’s transition from private servers to GCloud and G-Suite based services
- Designed and developed (3) prototype CV cameras for use in commercial game environments.
- Prepared business plan for new a new SaaS business model and acquired initial customer.
- Developed multiple websites and prototypes based on Node.js, React, and Django.
2006 – 2020
- Managed eight software developers, twelve content team members, and oversaw IT Department.
- Charged with reorganizing and optimizing the content team. Working with the team and its processes lead to 4x improvement in speed and $2M+ in sales of custom content.
- Spearheaded new product development into an adjacent underserved market segment leading to over $3.75M in new State Department IDIQ contracts.
- Lead ISO 9001 certification for Software Development Department and oversaw the recertification process every three years.
- Designed unique one-wire interface lowering the cost of reprogramming weapons in the field saving $80k in the first year of adoption.
- Architected a unique built-in localization system that allowed for customer modifications to perfectly tailor technical language and adjust intended meaning. This has generated over $10M in overseas sales to markets as diverse as UAE, Israel, Pakistan, Korea, and Columbia.
- Lead the unification of VirTra’s simulation technologies combining direction of VirTra’s software platform to a unified instruction UI allowing all simulations to share a common set of interfaces, thus lowering duplication and reducing the customer learning curve. Leading to the adoption of VirTra’s simulation systems by the US Marshalls, Secret Service, and Customs and Border Patrol with sales in excess of $15M.
- Delivered on time while understaffed VirTra’s first $7M dollar commercial simulation venture with Gander Mountain.
- Architected a multi-store store simulation control and customer management system that allowed customers to upload their experiences to YouTube™ or E-mail their targets and scores.
- Designed and integrated a range button box that allowed the user to navigate and operate the V-Range with a familiar interface like a live-fire range target control system.
- Developed a tracking system for weapons and flashlights which substantially cut COGS. This system used COTS components and leveraged the power of onboard GPUs to lower the cost per screen by over $8k ($40k per simulator for VirTra’s largest simulator).
- Delivered VirTra’s first single screen simulation product with my team of two in the first nine months of employment which infused VirTra with over $1M in revenue.
- Established VirTra’s software development and production processes, implementing document control, source control, sprint planning, and development guidelines.
- Championed the shift from several aging codebases to a unified .NET C# architecture.
2003 – 2006
- Designed and developed an Android-based game engine to leverage existing slot art assets to sell on Google Play and to use as a marketing tool.
- Created a custom touch screen POS terminal to easily accept both U.S. and Mexican currency.
- Created a secure Smart Cash Card Reader system utilizing the latest encryption and protection methods.
- Developed custom smart card firmware to maximize protection and prevent fraud for the end-user.
- Developed and integrated daughter cards to existing slot machines to expand memory and peripherals.
- Designed four new titles for the Mexican skill stop market.
- Created automated test bench tool, which automatically logs results of tests to Access database for consistent results and inventory.
- Manage multiple contractors providing Metal Wrappers, Powder Coat, Buttons, and Glass.
1998 – 2003
- Migrated key markets to CDPD based services, lowering specific location costs by as much as 75% while garnering a fixed monthly communication cost for these markets.
- Developed improved communication protocol providing reliable communication across all communication mediums and multiple embedded platforms. This protocol allows for multi-point communication so that one wireless account can be utilized for multiple monitoring devices at a site, instead of having to have a separate wireless service for each device. This drastically reduces the monthly communication costs associated with a multiple device install.
- Restructured existing wireless contracts to a centralized corporate plan with a single point of contact for each wireless vendor. Slashed over 30% in communication costs and made the vendors more responsive to crediting our accounts when billing issues arise.
- Championed the inclusion of electronic serial number IC into product designs to simplify inventory and failure tracking.
- Developed a retrofit for existing devices with improved front-end technology, cutting production costs by 50% while improving detection distance and accuracy.
- Improved unit installation by developing new brackets and housings, resulting in improved safety, faster installations, and reduced damage to units during the install.
- Produced unit installation manuals for our international accounts, streamlining deployment, and resulting in increased profitability and increased reliability.
- Created online manuals and standardized operational procedures for the company. Encouraged employees to document procedures and operations, which were then published to an intranet website. This allows all employees to easily reference the material, increasing productivity, and profitability.
- Guided migration from proprietary database systems to SQL based systems. This reduces the programmer learning curve, improves efficiency, and enhances reliability.
- Responsible for handling new product development, user interfaces, embedded systems, and managing multiple departments and employees.
AMERICAN GAME TECHNOLOGY, INC (AGT)
- Spearheaded the development of three new gaming platforms to help reach new markets. These included a backward-compatible video slot board with increased color depth (65,536 colors), Stepper Motor Based Reel Slot board with Yamaha stereo sound, and a PC ISA based card to convert a standard PC into a gaming device.
- Reorganized code base, eliminating unnecessary code branches, and implemented the use of base libraries from which all games were constructed. This allowed AGT to rapidly create a wide variety of additional titles such as Keno, 8-Line Slots, Black Jack, Lottery, Roulette, and several others.
- Developed a patented cashless gaming system to meet the needs of several gaming jurisdictions in North America, China, and South America.
- Negotiated contracts and set milestones for the development of home PC casino-style games by third-party developers. AGT successfully released three boxed titles for the home market. These games include Roulette, Multi-Game Casino, and AGT Casino.
- Managed relocation to new facilities and oversaw network installation and setup of Internet-based online casino-style giveaway game to promote the above products on our site.
- Solved coin timing software issues for a prototype Mexican lottery system, allowing AGT to ship the prototype before the submission deadline.
- Hired and trained production staff to successfully meet delivery deadlines, shipping over 1,000 machines in a two-month time span.